2013 Aldebaran Financial News Year in Review
In 2014 we're going to start a series of blog posts that hopefully will be interesting and at the very least informative. With that in mind we wanted to take time to look back at 2013 as a starting point. It has been an interesting year to say the least. We'll hit specific stock and index news in a different post, but here are the Big Stories from an Economic and Investing stand point:
- On the first day of the year we got a last minute deal to avoid the Fiscal Cliff. Tax rates went up on those earning more than $400,000.00 along with a number of those changes to our tax code.
- The President's second Inauguration
- Economy adds 157,000 jobs in January; Unemployment rises to 7.9%
- Pope Benedict XVI announces he will resign.
- North Korea says they have denoted a nuclear bomb.
- Winter Storm Nemo drops 40 inches of snow on Hamden, Connecticut
- Debris from a meteor smashes into Russia hurting over 1,000 people
- Economy adds 236,000 jobs in February; Unemployment drops to 7.7%
- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez dies.
- UN Sanctions North Korea
- Jorge Mario Bergologlio selected as new Pope
- Higgs Boson particle confirmed
- Congress does not reach deal to stop Sequester
- Economy adds 88,000 jobs in March; Unemployment drops to 7.6%
- Syria is accused of using chemical weapons
- Boston Marathon Bombing
- Economy adds 165,000 Jobs in April; Unemployment drops to 7.5%
- Israel conducts air strikes on Syria
- Fed Chair Ben Bernanke speech on Tapering sends the markets on rollercoaster
- Economy adds 175,000 jobs in May; Unemployment increases to 7.6%
- Edward Snowden and NSA leaks
- Protests in Egypt
- Economy adds 195,000 jobs in June; Unemployment holds at 7.6%
- Whitey Bulger goes on trial for racketeering, money laundering, extortion, weapons & complicity in murder
- Royal Baby Born - Princess George of Cambridge
- Economy adds 162,000 jobs in July; Unemployment drops to 7.4%
- Snowden lands in Russia
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos buys the Washington Post
- Economy adds 169,000 jobs in August; Unemployment drops to 7.3%
- President Obama seeks approval for military action in Syria & UN confirms chemical weapon use
- Navy Yard Shooting
- Government Shutdown debate begins
- Economy adds 148,000 jobs in September; Unemployment drops to 7.2%
- The Government shuts down for 16 days over the Affordable Care Act
- Janet Yellen announced as replacement for Ben Bernanke as Fed Chair
- Healthcare.gov opens with massive problems
- Economy adds 204,000 jobs in October; Unemployment rises to 7.3%
- Virginia elects Terry McAuliffe (D) and New Jersey elects Chris Christie (R) as governors
- Senate votes to limit Filibuster on most Presidential Nominees
- Typhoon Haiyan kills thousands and affects 4.28 million people in Philippines
- Twitter IPO & Apple iPhone 5s
- American Airlines and US Airways pass legal hurdles to merge into largest airline in the world
- JP Morgan agrees to pay US Government $13 billion to avoid lawsuit on mortgage practices
- Economy adds 203,000 jobs in November; Unemployment drops to 7.0%
- Nelson Mandela passes away
- US Government finishes exit of GM shares
- Budget deal reached to fund government until 2015
- We still have a few days and don't discount something else.
- Jobs number will come out in January.
Quite a year.